Pizza Rustica Served with Green Beans

Pizza Rustica Served with Green Beans

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Rugelach

I chose a combination of dried pineapple, cherries, and blueberries with pecans, walnuts and hazelnuts. Dried fruit is always a challenge to find organic to avoid the pesticide concentration. I also decided to use Nutella, as I was unable to find a lekvar and wasn't up to making my own.

The dough seemed a little sticky, so I put it in the fridge to make it easier to divide in half as instructed. That did the trick. I always have trouble rolling dough into "shapes." The end pieces are always reserved for me as they are likely mis-shapened!

It seemed like a lot of cinnamon and sugar, but I followed the directions. The first batch I forgot the egg wash and over baked them, waiting for the sugar to carmelize. But the second batch I pulled out after 25 minutes and didn't worry about the carmelization. The rate at which the second batch disappeared compared to the first confirmed the success of the second batch.

I still have two more logs to bake, and hopefully I will discover the carmelization soon. I was surprised at how tasty these were. I am not a big cinnamon and sugar fan, but I seemed to be drawn to "one more" after tasting my first rugelach. I liked the idea of trying something I'd never even heard of before, but of course I don't have anything to compare as to the true success of this baking challenge! If the next couple batches disappear even faster, I will take that as a mark of success.

4 comments:

  1. It is fun to try something new. These were fun to make, a great TWD recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the dried filling combination you chose.
    And the picture looks like they came out wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks super yummy, well done :)

    ReplyDelete